Tuesday 22 July 2014

Stopped taking Tamoxifen.....

Thats right I've finally had enough and stopped taking the Tamoxifen its very nearly 3 years since I started taking them and just cant cope anymore with this terrible drug. The list seems endless but this is why I've stopped:

1. Enormous weight gain (4 stone) I've gone from a size 8-10 to size 18-20

2. At least 3 major migraines a week (I used to blame Herceptin but realise now it could be the Tami)

3. Arthritic joint pain in both wrists and ankles

4. Swelling and water retention just to add to the weight misery

5. Cramp in my toes and legs 

6. Hot Flushes including sweating from my eyeballs and feeling like I'm going melt into a puddle

7. Night sweats and unable to sleep

8. Mood swings and depression

9. Unable to walk or function at times due to the above side effects I end up walking around like an 
old lady of 100!!

I've been putting up with this sorry lot for the past 3 years and I've had enough yes I've hit the fuck it button what made me finally decide was the fact that I've been so depressed that I feel like I'd rather not be here anymore I realised this was a suicidal tendency (not good when you live so close to the cliffs) this was the final straw and as of yesterday I've stopped. I have an onc. appt. on August the 8th with results of MRI, CT, heart scan and blood test. Haven't decided whether or not to tell onc about stopping the tablets he will probably go up the wall if I tell him but I just can't live with this anymore I need a better quality of life. I will explain how I've been feeling and the above reasons if I decide to tell him. Obviously I'm still on the sub-cut Herceptin. I wouldn't mind if they tried me on another ai with less side effects but they told me at the last appointment that they wouldn't change the Tamoxifen until I was through the menopause hence the reason for the blood test to determine my menopausal status.

Apparently its going to take a good 3 months for the stuff to be out of my system totally but I feel relieved and happy about my decision. Its a risky strategy but quality of life is just as important.

No comments:

Post a Comment