Sunday 4 March 2012

Conflicting advice makes no sense!

Today I would like to talk about why we (meaning BC suffers) are advised differently about the same type of cancer ie: mainly my ache is about estrogen or ER+ cancers, mine is 4/8 so this means my cancer is fed only half the time by estrogen if it was very ER+ the numbers would of been 8/8, so because of the estrogen factor there are all these different conflicting pieces of advice about what to eat and drink because some foods and drinks contain estrogen or estrogen mimickers we (ER+ ladies) want to minimize the amount of estrogen in our systems this stands to reason especially when its estrogen thats feeding the tumors also if you are ER+ you are generally put on either Tamoxifen, or other AI hormonal tablets to stop or block the estrogen from feeding the cancer cells, (still with me its confusing!) so why are some ladies advised differently? for example after chatting to a lady that is with the same Onc as myself she was told that Sage was not safe to take for ER+ ladies, whilst the same Onc told me it was safe for me to take, this is the first point of conflict, my next big ache is about soya and estrogen some say its safe some say its not but no one will commit to saying its either or!!! this is because they have not been able to trial soya, so it ends up as being quite a contentious issue on the BCC forum where some women are warning against the use of anything with soya in including organic chickens that are fed on soya pellets making both the meat and eggs a no go for ER+ women then there are others saying that it can't be soya because the Asian communities of the world eat loads of soya and they have a lower risk of getting BC ughhhhh its exhausting trying to figure this one out and adds to the misery of going shopping especially at the supermarket, if you look on the back of most packets you will see many many substances that ER+ ladies are not supposed to eat for fear of either estrogen or glucose (cancer loves sugar). I have changed my diet so much, I don't eat red meat, I juice a pint of green stuff everyday, I take a load of supplements, and eat wholemeal or wholegrains including pasta, rice, bread, basically I cut out all the sugar, no tea or coffee, unless its green tea, minimal dairy, I think when you have overhauled your lifestyle as much as I have it becomes very annoying when information just does not add up especially when you are told conflicting information from your own Onc, don't get me wrong my Onc has been fantastic so far as chemo, rads etc but on this score not so great. For fucks sake all any of us BC sufferers want to do is to eat right and survive, we are only trying to help ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment