Saturday 15 September 2012

The lovely lymph nurse....

I suspected that the pain in my arm and trunk was more than normal mastectomy site mending itself pain and my oncologist referred me to a Lymphedema Nurse called Vikki. I felt a bit strange about going for this appointment because I was dreading the possible prospect of having to wear a compression sleeve and also the nurse is based in our local hospice. I have too say I was pleasantly surprised, the hospice was so calm and blissful a huge manor house converted, very friendly offering you tea and coffee in a comfortable waiting area with big armchairs, I don't really know what I was expecting to find but it certainly was not something as comforting as it proved to be and I no longer have 'the fear' as regards to a hospice.

As for lymphedema I do have it but very mild and early stages which is mainly in my trunk on the side, the pains I was experiencing turned out to be nothing to do with lymphedema but everything to do with my nerves knitting themselves back together (its been a year since my mastectomy). Vikki measured both of my arms and told me that my right arm (which is the affected limb) is 2% larger than my left, although my right arm is my dominant arm anyway so it would always be slightly larger, needless to say I am hugely relieved that all the exercises are paying off and keeping the dam lymphedema at bay.  We had a great chat and I found her to be so sympathetic and understanding.

During the consultation she said would I like to be referred to a Bowen Technique practitioner, I have heard of this complementary treatment and wanted to try it out anyway so was pleased to find that its free of charge on the NHS if your referred by your lymph nurse and a series of appointments have been made. My first appointment was on Friday and was very interesting, a series of light touch movements all over my body and it really did seem to work wonders, aligning and correcting my spine whilst attempting to deal with my side effects ie: migraines/hot flushes/neck and back pain. I will keep you all posted on how I progress with these treatments but I already feel something inside me has clicked and am looking forward to my next session which will be next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment