Thursday 23 February 2012

Weird Coincidence and Vitamins

Today I went out to my favorite charity shop and walked into their book room where I chanced upon a book entitled 'Food as Medicine' picked the book up and opened it up and there straight away first page I looked at was yep you guessed it on breast cancer (spooky coincidence) in particular the vitamin D connection, obviously I bought the book and am finding it extremely insightful explaining quite a few things I had previously heard of but misinterpreted.

According to research a number of breast cancer sufferers were tested and found to have unusually low levels of vitamin D, we get this vitamin from the sun BUT when we put high factor sun protection on as well as blocking the harmful rays we also block out the essential vitamin D, it makes sense to me that my own levels of vitamin D would be low because I practically hibernate during the winter months not only is it very cold where I live but also quite dark due to living in a rural location that is surrounded by woods and trees. I have been taking this vitamin along with vitamin's E, and C for the past 3 - 4 months and certainly feel ok, definitely the vitamin C is helping my immune system, I've recently had a cold and got over it in record time just under a week, which considering I am now immune compromised due to the chemo I was very pleased about and put it down to taking the vitamin C. I will continue to take all 3 vitamins until the summer and then instead of taking vitamin D I will go out and top up on some natural vitamin D in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment